18th May 2017
Dear CUMaS members,
Hope everyone is well and happy from the Milo in the welfare pack! Don’t forget to keep well rested and hydrated this exam season. Before you know it, exams will be over and we shall look forward to reunite again at our anticipated Garden Party and all the celebrations that await us.
1. Garden Party!
2. An opportunity to take part in a Masters dissertation research
1. Save your date for CUMaS Annual Garden Party
Anticipate the peaceful, whimsical and rosy setting of Cambridge after the storm of exams with the upcoming annual Garden Party! Tickets for this year’s graduating seniors will be FREE, and regular ticket prices will be announced at a later date. Do take this opportunity to meet up and reminisce with your friends one last time in Cambridge before the next stage of your lives.
Sign up form : https://goo.gl/forms/gm16GeKDj251soIy2
Theme: A Midsummer Day’s Dream
Date: 17/06/17 (Saturday)
Time: 2 – 6pm
Venue: Churchill College
Ticket price: TBC
Check out the event page on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/events/629203553945271
2. You could be a part of Fred Kratt’s Geography MPhil research into the notions of inter-racial ‘harmony’ among the Chinese diaspora and other ethnic groups in Southeast Asia.
Discussions would cover the following subjects (not exhaustive):
– Attitudes to Chinese roots, connections and identity in Malaysia
– Perceptions of inter-racial relations in contemporary Malaysia
– Discuss what inter-racial ‘peace’ or ‘harmony’ is or should look in Malaysia, if at all
– Discuss any experience of participating in inter-community relationship building (and
future challenges). If so, how and why? If not, why not?
The project would be verified by the Ethics Committee of the Department of Geography. Each participant would be required to sign a letter of informed consent that asks for permission to use the data produced by the focus groups in Fred’s Masters dissertation. Participants would also be asked if they prefer for their opinions to remain anonymous (this would be the default position).
Please email Fred at [email protected] if you’re interested!
That’s it from me, for now. All the best for exams and don’t forget to mark your calendar for CUMaS Garden Party! We look forward to seeing you there!
CUMaS Committee 2017/18